Growing up I struggled with a lot of fears, some I still have today. Here are just some of the fears I have or used to have, just to give you an idea:
- bees (or any stinging insect)
- public speaking
- looking stupid
- not being accepted
As I said, those are just some of the fears. But we can’t go through life being comfortable and never have anything bad happen to us; not in a sinful world anyway.
Fear is going to come to all of us. It is one of the ways the enemy wants to manipulate us and stop us from doing what God has called us to do. Here is what the Bible says about fear:
- 5 I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands
assail me on every side. (Psalm 3:5-6)
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)
- So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:31)
- But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (Matthew 14:27)
- Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)
- The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.” (Romans 8:15)
- There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (1 John 4:18)
That is just a handful of the Scriptures on fear! The Bible says “do not be afraid” (or a version of those words) 365 times – one time for every day of the year. That’s because God knew we were going to face a lot of fears in life but wanted to remind us to trust in Him, keep our eyes on Him and not on our problems. God is bigger than all our fears.
If you struggle with fear as I do, let me encourage you to look up as many verses on fear as you can and start memorizing them! Then, when you feel fear trying to come upon you, rebuke the fear and quote those verses. It will stop the fear in its tracks and fill you with that peace that surpasses all understanding.